I see you raising eyebrows at the words ‘balsamic caramel’ but I promise you that the balsamic vinegar does not overpower this classic French dessert.
Instead, it adds a saltiness to the naturally sugary strawberries and stops this tarte tatin from becoming sickly sweet.
You could serve this dessert in bulk using a muffin tin if you had to serve them at a party and why shouldn’t you when they only take 10 minutes to assemble.
When you start cooking these in the oven your mouth will salivate at the smell of caramelised strawberries. Just talking about it has me scampering off for thirds!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- For the balsamic caramel, mix the sugar, cream, balsamic and butter together over a medium heat
- Chop the strawberries into thin slices and pour the balsamic caramel over them
- Using a circular glass or cookie cutter, cut circles out of the pastry pastry and leave to one side
- Fill a small ramekin or muffin tin with the caramelised strawberries, before covering each serving with a puff pastry top
- Glaze the puff pastry circles with melted butter before cooking the tarte tatins in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown
- Carefully flip the tarte tartins over while they are still warm and serve