Over the weekend we are celebrating my boyfriends birthday by watching the Liverpool match and eating all his favourite food. At the very top of that food list are fried buffalo wings with celery and blue cheese dip.
The problem is that the man is a serious carnivore with an obsession for fried chicken and I just don’t know how three buckets of meat will go down for our vegetarian guests.
I pondered over a solution to this conundrum when I realised that tofu would make the perfect meat-less solution. It’s big downside, the lack of flavour, would no longer be an issue after getting smothered in spicy buffalo hot sauce. Even the aforementioned carnivore said he would eat it (shock and horror) and I feel it’s a simple way to include vegetarians into the birthday buffalo sauce palooza.
- 396 grams of tofu
- 5 pieces of celery cut in half
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 15 grams blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 shakes of smoked paprika
- 300-400 ml oil
- 30 grams plain flour
- Buffalo sauce
- Drain the tofu of excess water by patting it with paper towels, once dry cut the tofu into cubes
- Roll the tofu in the flour, making sure that every side is covered
- For the blue cheese sauce, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, blue cheese and smoked paprika together in a mixing bowl
- Heat the oil in a pot until it is hot enough to fry, you can test the temperature of the oil with a spare piece of tofu- if the oil immediately bubbles and the tofu rises to the surface then it is hot enough to begin frying
- Fry the tofu until it is golden brown on every side and then soak it quickly in a bowl of buffalo sauce
- Scoop the tofu out into a bowl, serve with celery and blue cheese sauce