In our house, Bailey’s is not the mixer of choice and unlike Mister C I am not a fan of rum. So this left me with a culinary conundrum about how to create this years festive hot chocolate.
Randomly while mulling this over I began discussing a new festive tradition, where I offered to cook Mister C’s favourite three-course meal. It’s no secret that black forest cake is his absolute favourite dessert and that’s when the lightbulb clicked.
Kirsch! This is a German cherry liquor that is commonly found in Mon Cheri chocolate and also in black forest cake. I realised that making a liquid version of his favourite cake would be a genius way to enjoy it throughout the Christmas season. and let me tell you, this is absolutely delicious. It might not be calorie free but who’s been counting since the advent calendar rolled out on December 1st?!
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup whipped cream
- 1/4 cup grated dairy milk chocolate
- 1/2 cup grated dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of Kirsch (you can ALWAYS add more)
- 1 black cherry
- Heat the milk, 1/4 cup of the whipping cream, milk chocolate, 1/4 cup of the dark chocolate and Kirsch over a medium heat
- Whisk the ingredients together until the chocolate has entirely melted
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining whipping cream until stiff peaks form
- Pour the Kirsch hot chocolate into a cup, top with freshly whipped cream, 1/4 dark chocolate and 1 black cherry
- Enjoy and Merry Christmas